Maybe you're not like me and the aforementioned as well as the unmentioned (infertility) is worse than being fat…this may not be the blog for you. I plan on irreverently, humorously and sarcastically sharing my weight loss journey as I run full speed (hopefully reaching my target heart rate) at the wall that is PCOS…But, before you go, take note: I did use the words "sharing" and "journey"…I can't be that bad.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

The stats…AKA the cold hard truth…

Age  31
Height 5'6"
Starting Weight 183 lbs
Current Weight  179.2 lbs
Total -3.8 lbs
What the BMI chart has the nerve to say about me today 28.9=Obese

I just started my second month of Ocella (Yaz Generic) Birth Control pills. I know it is different for every women with PCOS, but I believe Yaz really helped me lose weight the last time (53 lbs) and was key in my pregnancy...birth control helping in pregnancy, I know that doesn't sound right and trust me it wasn't intentional.

I don't know exactly how Yaz works and why it is more beneficial to a woman with PCOS than other pills, so if you need those kind of details, you'll have to do some research on your own. I believe it helps regulate the excess testosterone that we soul-cystas have in our system and I know testosterone plays a big role in getting cysts and in insulin resistance which are the two key players in excessive weight gain and infertility. Don't get me wrong, the last time I took Yaz I was also exercising EVERYDAY and eating between 1,000 and 1,200 calories a day...sometimes less, but these measures don't typically work on their own, so I've got to assume it was the Yaz...but I also have to assume that Yaz won't work on its own either...nothing is that easy.

During that time I had also separated and quickly divorced from my first husband, I have heard many people refer to the "divorce diet". Have you ever seen someone who is going through a divorce and it seems like the weight just sort of falls off due to some weird magical non-cortisol producing stress? Please don't despair and don't go divorcing your sweetie-pies...remember they love you even though you're moody, fat and barren...stand by your man. And seriously we have PCOS...if there really is something to the phenomena that is the divorce diet...it wouldn't apply to us, because nothing works that simply for women with PCOS. I am going to prove that divorce was a coincidence the last go round...I promise to stay married while getting skinny this time.

For those of you who carry extra weight and are struggling with infertility I am sure you have been told weight loss can help dramatically...so clearly losing 53 lbs in a fairly short amount of time was a major reason why I got pregnant. I also believe regulating my cycles and stopping cysts helped. Up until I took Yaz, every month during the time I should have been ovulating I would get cysts...EVERY MONTH SINCE I WAS 15 and I had never had a regular period since my first one at age 11. I definitely felt the change in my body from the first pack of pills. I don't remember how long I took yaz before I got pregnant I am guessing about a year and a half and then I GOT PREGNANT THE FIRST MONTH I WAS OFF OF THE PILL! That would be difficult for a woman who doesn't have issues with fertility, but my body was happy...not only had I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, I probably ovulated for the first time in my entire life and I had a 21 year old boyfriend who was a real go-getter, so there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment